Thursday, June 30, 2011

Best (Accidental) Beauty Tip Ever!

(I know it's customary to make one's first blog post a "Welcome" message, but I didn't start this just to say "Hello" so I'm just going to cut right to the chase)


Have you ever gotten a bad pedicure? You know the kind where you pay $30 and all they do is wash your feet, paint your toenails, and toss you out the door with all the callouses and dead skin with which you arrived? That happened to me last Thursday (I won't say where, but I will say that I consoled myself with some California Tortilla afterwards - take that for what you will Frederick, MD friends).

The pedicure was required because I was headed to the Miss Virginia Pageant in Roanoke, VA. When you hang out with a bunch of beauty queens, as I do, you have to up your game a tad. Looking good is all part of the deal so pedicures, hair cut and color, and spray tans are standard.

To accomplish that last bit, the spray tan, I ran down to Walmart and picked up a can of  L'Oreal Sublime Bronze ProPerfect Salon Airbrush Self-Tanning Mist (I HIGHLY recommend it, but that's not the point). Since I wasn't sure what kind of mess it would make I applied the spray in the bathtub in my hotel room in Roanoke.

OK, it's a spray. Self-tanning particles go into the air and, if your aim is true, mostly land on your body. Mostly. Of course some waft to the ground (or in this case, the tub). So it makes complete sense that the following morning I awoke to find that the tannest part of my body, BY FAR, was the bottom of my feet (think about it, it's not like I stood still while doing this). Self-tanner adheres to dry skin better than moist skin so you can only imagine how well it took to my poorly pedicured soles.It wasn't a big deal. I wasn't at the pool, so no one could see it. And frankly it gave me something to chuckle about. Of course it also served as a reminder of the craptacular pedicurist I lucked upon.

Last night I got around to dealing with the bad pedicure situation. I soaked my feet in a sudsy tub, grabbed my foot file (yes men, they have those, embrace them!) and went to work. Well lo and behold, it just so happens that the stuff I so desperately needed to slough off was conveniently color coded for me thanks to faux tan! I knew exactly where my feet needed smoothing! Now I have a new plan when venturing out for a pedicure...

Resolved: Before going for a pedicure, I will apply self tanner to my feet so that it is beyond obvious to the pedicurist what needs to be done. Sorta of reminds me of those pink chewable tablets the dentist would give you so you could see where you didn't brush. So simple, so elegant, so effective... LOVE IT!

(Hey, I never said this blog would be deep.)

3 comments: